Watching Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City sip on the Cosmopolitan scene after scene has made the pink drink a staple favorite for many. Now that there’s an entire day dedicated to the Cosmo we want to honor the drink with a twist.
Over the years, bartenders and mixologists have created their own versions of the Cosmo. We’ve scoured the world of the Cosmopolitan and pulled out some of our favorites. So if you’re looking to spice up your Cosmo, here are 5 twists to the classic you should try out.
The White Cosmo
Recipe by Bevvy
The White Cosmo is a simple variation of the original recipe, using white cranberry juice instead of red. We recommend using a citrus vodka like the Absolut Citron, but a straight vodka works just as well.
- 1.5 oz citrus vodka (Try the Absolut Citron)
- 0.75 oz Cointreau orange liqueur (Try St. Elder Blood Orange Liqueur, 90 points, Bartenders Spirits Awards)
- 0.5 oz fresh lime juice
- Splash white cranberry juice
- Orange twist for garnish
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist and serve.
Recipe by Society19
Put on your favorite beret and try this fruity twist inspired by the Parisian summer.
- 0.50 Oz of Lemon juice
- 0.25 Oz cane syrup
- 0.50 Oz of Midori melon liquor
- 1 Oz of white cranberry juice
- 1 Oz of Raspberry Vodka Smirnoff
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Recipe by Love to Know
Not only is the Violet Cosmo uber-instagrammable, but it’s also rich and royalty-like with a dash of crème de cassis. If talk of the reboot of Sex and the City is true, we’re rooting for the Violet Cosmo to find a place on the girls’ to-drink list.
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-ounce white cranberry juice cocktail
- ½ ounce orange-flavored liqueur
- ¼ ounce crème de cassis
- ¼ ounce crème de violette
- 1½ ounces citrus-flavored vodka (Try Nemiroff Vodka Bold Orange, 92 points, Bartenders Spirits Awards)
- Lavender sprig for garnish
In a cocktail shaker, combine the lime juice, cranberry juice cocktail, crème de cassis, crème de violette, orange liqueur, and citrus vodka. Add the ice and shake. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Recipe by Butcher & Banker, Manhattan
For those of you who prefer something with a bit more of a punch, New York’s Butcher & Banker brings to you the Cosmopolis - a perfect cross between a Negroni and Manhattan.
- 1 oz lemon vodka (Try the Crop Organic Lemon Vodka)
- 1 oz Cocchi Americano
- 0.5 oz Aperol
- 0.5 oz Cointreau (or triple sec)
- 1 dash Fee Brothers Cranberry Bitters
- Orange Twist, for garnish
In a mixing glass, stir together all ingredients with ice. Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube. Flame an expressed orange peel over top of the drink, then discard the peel.
The Ginger Cosmopolitan
Recipe by Inside Hook
Ginger is the perfect way to add a sharp kick to your Cosmo.
- 1.5 oz vodka (Try Grainger's Deluxe Organic Vodka, 92 points, Bartenders Spirits Awards)
- 0.75 oz Cointreau
- 0.75 oz lime
- 0.5 oz ginger syrup
- 0.5 oz hibiscus infusion
Shake all ingredients together over ice and strain into a chilled coupe glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
Recipe by Liquor.com
While we love all the different variations of the Cosmo, the classic pink libation still has a special place in our hearts. Channel your inner Carrie Bradshaw with the one and only, classic and in every way, ideal Cosmopolitan.
- 1 1/2 ounces citrus vodka
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 ounce cranberry juice
- Garnish: lime wedge
Add the vodka, Cointreau, lime juice, and cranberry juice to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.